Temporary Position: Associate Apparel Developer
This is a temporary, approximately 7 months, position for an Associate Apparel Developer. During this time period, the primary responsibilities will be to assist with the development, engineering and specifications processes to produce innovative and quality products with supervision. S/He supports the commercialization process for assigned products. The Temporary Associate Apparel Developer supports the strategic vision for their products, develops appropriate stage-gates for performance expectations and delivers predetermined gross margin targets. S/He will work closely with the Product Line Management, Sourcing, and Materials team to define and lead the innovation process. S/He will partner with our manufacturers on product objectives. S/He leads product evaluations for fit, construction and cost and will partner closely with the Development team to continually enhance intelligent design and flawless function.
- Bachelor’s degree in apparel product development/design, fashion design, textiles or related fields.
- 1-3+ years of related professional experience.
- Able to manage product of moderate complexity with supervision.
- Demonstrates capacity to learn and implement product construction, fit, and material requirements with mentoring.
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of fit, pattern making, construction expertise, and knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of product category, product materials, and product development lifecycle.
- Demonstrates proficient verbal and written communication skills. Able to facilitate fittings and meetings with supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to create trust with cross functional teams.
- Leads issue resolution with supervision, provides solutions and creates collaboration.
- Contributes to special projects, process, or calendar optimization.
- Able to proactively troubleshoot and garner support to solve complex problems.
- Demonstrates efficient organization skills.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the costing process and supports cost negotiations with the factory through detailed analysis of cost breakdowns with supervision.
- Participates in goal setting. Drives results to achieve goals.
- Demonstrates proficiency in MS office software, Adobe Illustrator, and product line management systems.
- Drives the product creation and confirmation process from design stage through salesman samples to timely approval of production confirmation samples.
- Develops products, recommends materials, and construction techniques that meet Design expectations and meet or exceed predetermined gross margin targets.
- Translate design vision and consumer needs into assigned products.
- Resolve potential concerns regarding construction, material, fit and wear or cost prior to design tech package hand-off.
- Ensure that all materials, processes, prototypes and development samples are fully tested to ensure adherence to Pearl Izumi quality standards.
- Work with sample sewers and patternmakers for in-house prototyping.
- Review prototypes for quality, execution, and fit. Provide clear and concise communication to relevant partners including overseas partners. Modify technical illustrations in Adobe Illustrator as necessary.
- Plans and tracks the development schedule of all products to ensure a timely completion following the predetermined product development calendar.
- Ensures execution of fit intent and fit consistency through clear analysis, documentation, communication, adherence to fit standards, and use of block patterns.
- Creates the specifications for the products, publishes, and maintains all records, style files, and samples associated with the product. Maintain PLM system data and information at all times for calendar and reporting purposes.
- Partners with product and material sourcing and manufacturers to develop new materials, construction techniques, processes, and samples used to create innovative and technically superior products.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with Product Line Managers, Designers, Materials Development, Sourcing, Quality Assurance, Prototyping/Wear-testing and Supply Chain Management in order to ensure performance. Manage exception reporting to off-calendar or quality concerns pro-actively.
Key Organizational Competencies:
A+ Service Focus – Focuses one’s efforts on discovering, meeting and exceeding customer needs and expectations. Develops and grows a relationship for future business and ultimately facilitate the customer decision-making process.
Drive For Results – Accurately assesses critical issues and concentrates work efforts on them to produce valued results.
Collaborative – Interacts with others in a constructive, positive and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or coworkers in achieving goals and completing assignments.
Adaptable – Effectively handles changing environments within the organization; maintaining effectiveness when dealing with multiple and conflicting priorities across different cultural settings, or during times of great adversity.
Aptitude/Business Acumen – Assimilates, synthesizes, interprets, and communicates significant business and economic information and impacts.
Authenticity/Innovation – Identifies key trends opportunities, and organizational capabilities that would bring competitive advantage to the organization. Sees trends before others and integrates concepts in a unique way.
Problem Solving – Anticipates future consequences and trends accurately and has broad Displays the ability to openly receive feedback and criticism in a positive manner. Learns from mistakes and asks for others insight in times of need, rather than turning defensive. Effective in using active listening skills when engaging in conversation.
Open/Receptive – Energizes people around specific organizational initiatives, goals and visions. Ensures others hear, understand and accept a common organizational vision by guiding, translating and influencing what the vision means for everyone involved.
Reliable – Maintains personal productivity and effectiveness in the midst of change, ambiguity, or stress.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualification associated with the job. The successful candidate will be expected to perform all functions from administrative processing to leading change initiatives.