The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department's Mission is to provide and protect outstanding natural, scenic, cultural, historic and recreational sites for the enjoyment and education of present and future generations.The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) invites members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.The Oregon Parks & Recreation Department is currently recruiting for a Statewide Volunteer Coordinator position, located at the department headquarters in Salem, Oregon.
What you will do:This position will manage, develop, promote and represent the agency's use of volunteers while leading and coordinating the diverse volunteer programs including managing the Park Host program. The Volunteer Program purpose is to enhance field delivery of services and park operations support through collaboration, assistance and coordination of Volunteers and Partners as part of supporting furthering the mission of Oregon State Parks while building and sustaining the best park system in the world.For a list of specific duties, working conditions and responsibilities, click hereMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- There is currently one (1) permanent, full-time opening.
- This position is represented by the Service Employee International Union (SEIU).
- This recruitment will be used to establish a list of qualified applicants and may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTESWe are looking for candidates with a work history that demonstrates the following:
- three (3) years of natural resource experience or similarly related work such as performing studies, research, or resource management activities in a Natural Resource or Environmental field related to the position. At least one year of the experience must be at a technical or professional level performing activities in a natural resource program such as researching and analyzing data, conducting investigations, applying pertinent laws and regulations, or coordinating and monitoring project activities; AND,
- a Bachelor's degree in Parks and Recreation, Natural Resources, Environmental Science or a closely-related field, such as Business or Public Administration or Behavioral or Social Sciences, OR three (3) additional years of experience performing studies, research, or resource management activities in an environmental field with work closely related to that described in the position.
- a Master's degree in related field will substitute for up to one year of the required experience.
- Experience evaluating, coordinating and leading a statewide dynamic and complex program.
- Experience developing and implementing policies and procedures.
- Experience developing and implementing a volunteer program structure.
- Experience collaborating with organizations, agencies, associations and non-profit groups.
- Experience planning and coordinating conferences or programs.
- The ability to collaborate and work well with people from all different backgrounds and levels.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
HOW TO APPLYWe will consider only complete application packets received by 11:59 p.m. on the close date listed on this announcement. Application Instructions:
- Supplemental Questions: Complete the supplemental questions. Answers to the supplemental questions must be substantiated with the work experience you list in your resume.
- Cover Letter: Cover Letter of no more than two (2) pages that describes how your skills, knowledge and experience demonstrate you can perform the duties listed in the position description and how you meet the desirable attributes we seek.
- Resume: In your resume, you must clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed above and include a list of verifiable employers and dates of employment (including month and year).
Application Reference Number: OPRD18-0075OC