A small established growing organization is looking for a stellar product developer to help them disrupt the market and create excitement for their customers. You will develop a product line mix that positions the company for their next phase of growth. As the workwear category expert your voice will be heard!
Work in a creative, fun and productive work environment that offers work/life balance. If you work hard but play hard too this culture is for you.
The sr. product developer is an essential member of the product development team who is responsible for researching the market, designing (including technical design functions) and executing product along with maintaining effective production processes that bring innovative workwear apparel to the company’s global market.
· Accountable for executing all aspects of the product development process from concept through production.
· Accountable for all aspects of design from researching trends, analyzing competition to sketching. Next steps include design adoption, gaining consensus and further advancing design details as needed.
· Responsible for concept and line architecture, engineering of prototypes through product ready. Effectively collaborates with various teams: sales, graphic design, China office, marketing and production. Drives the PD process and ensures all products meet or exceed our expectations.
· Partner and collaborate with overseas partners to ensure product execution including close collaboration with China office workwear assistant who is responsible for reviewing samples, evaluating production and approving for all carry-over styles.
· Executing the testing requirements for workwear assortment. This includes establishing the testing, monitoring and capturing results. Making determinations for assortment based on results.
· Ensure that designs are manufacturable, meet cost and quality objectives.
· Travel to Asia to work with manufacturers and the China office on current and future development projects.
· Create and manage tech packs assuring documentation is current and production ready.
· Establish expertise in fabric development including gathering knowledge around future technologies. Be the product development source for new, innovative fabrics and their capabilities.
· Responsible for negotiating cost and aligning cost capabilities.
Product Line Management:
· Initiate and manage consumer, market industry and competition research to identify business opportunities; keep pulse on existing distributors/customers and understand needs and expectations of prospective distributors.
· Responsible for identifying trends and opportunities based on analysis of product performance and competitors.
· Manage and monitor new product introductions as well as carry-overs. Balance brand and business ensuring apparel assortment and color/sku offering deliver on product goals.
· Establish year-round margin and analytics review of categories to ensure profitability.
· Act as a product evangelist presenting product and POV at pre-lines, sales meetings and meetings with key distributors.
· Effectively collaborate with distributor partners in both the US and EU markets ensuring open communication and a solid understanding of the unique aspects of the market.
· Partner with key cross-functional partners (marketing, ecommerce, sourcing, finance, operations) to ensure category execution is on brand and delivers business objectives.
· Be the category expert with all cross-functional partners to ensure product execution aligns with your seasonal line plan and brand direction.
· Ensure timely delivery of all projects and processes within timelines.
· Attends photo shoots, initiating shot lists and coordinating outfit pairings that drive product marketing stories. Partners with Mktg on catalog lay-outs and features.
· Partner with VP of merchandising to continuously strive for process improvement, making solid recommendations on ways in which the organization can gain additional efficiencies.
· Inspiring others/leading by example
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate new ideas, concepts and expertise within our internal product development team and to external partners.
· Effectively communicate design presentation, line validity to CEO and leaders of the organization.
· Ability to share your vision for your area and shepherd your strategy through the development process.
· Decision making
· Interpersonal skills
· Conflict resolution management
· Collaboration and innovation
· Bachelor’s degree with 5-7+ years of experience in the lifestyle apparel industry; workwear experience a plus
· Leadership role working with product design and development teams
· Strategic thinker with proven results
· Ability to develop, inspire, and empower a team
· Creative, innovative, with the ability to identify key design elements to increase sales
· Strong sense of trend, fabric, style, color and print direction
· Strong interpersonal skills, willing and able to work with people at all levels
· Technologically savvy, proficient in PLM systems
· Excellent public speaking skills, able to tell a story
· Exceptional financial acumen and business planning skills
· Ability to perform in a fast paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
· Ability to travel internationally and domestically, 20-25%
· Excellent at building relationships internally and externally
· Strong negotiator
· Experience effectively conducting business in Asia a must
· Detail oriented and highly organized, maintain clear priorities
Send your resume with salary requirements to Sue at Midwest Personnel Resource, LLC:
E-mail: [email protected]
Please include Job Code SPR-OIJ0118 in the subject line of all emails.
Midwest Personnel Resource, LLC is a national executive search firm that focuses on apparel, action sports, accessories and home goods professionals.
Bottom line, we are in the people business. We partner with clients to expand their choices relative to superior talent. We network with candidates’ every day to qualify the best in the business. We establish relationships and coach candidates during the employment process. A client can be assured that we know the candidates we are representing. We will give candidates a realistic job preview, match their skill sets to client needs, determine salary expectations and manage the interview process to secure the right fit.
We work with clients nationwide. If you are industry professional we welcome an inquiry.