Black Diamond is looking for a Sportswear Product Developer who will be assigned specific product development collections and oversee all development activity for these collections from design hand-off through sales sample evaluation and into pre-production. Must be able to operate at the macro strategic level and most importantly; interpret and execute tactical initiatives and details during the product creation cycle and ensuring that the commercialization of each product meets design, fit, margin, and quality requirements. Working in collaboration with Design and Development Leads, Fit Technician, and Category Manager; the Sportswear Product Developer must ensure products meet or exceed the expectations of users in accordance with industry best practices and provide leadership within the category
The Sportswear Product Developer will oversee timelines, prototype and fit reviews, product specifications, product quality, costing, and production execution. Must be able to manage indirect resources and have in depth knowledge of patterns and construction techniques in order to properly commercialize and meet expectations
- Receive tech pack hand off from Design and oversee all documentation updates and communication. Ensure specification accuracy. Update Product Data systems, internal and external customers, etc as needed with product changes. Manage quality, cost, calendar, and file storage locations.
- Direct and oversee domestic and overseas development and manufacturing contractors. Active participant in internal fit process for all new, revised and carry-in garments.
- Oversee all review meetings specific to assigned development collections. Interface closely with internal partners to resolve any design/quality issues that arise during the development process. Make tech pack updates, pattern adjustments, etc as needed based on feedback. Clearly communication changes to factories and ensure proper execution. Overall, ensure that the development process proceeds such that the projects meets key phase approval dates and milestones.
- Collaborate in the successful conceptualization, receive new materials and trims. Assist in facilitating lab dips requests and approvals as needed while ensuring clear communication to suppliers and factories.
- Work with the Black Diamond Quality Assurance group or nominated testing agency to ensure that all required testing and documentation are completed in a timely manner and in accordance with the development calendar. Ensure that the development product testing process proceeds such that the projects meets key phase check points and documentation requirements.
- Work with Category Director, Designers, Development Director, and the Supply Chain Management group, to assist in nominating vendors, suppliers, and contractors in building a focused vendor base and supply chain for BD’s Sportswear Apparel. Create and maintain Specs, BOM’s, Cost Sheets, and all documentation in support of achieving margin goals. Continually seek ways to lower costs during development cycle while upholding quality standards to best meet cost targets and profitability for the compan
- Bachelor of Arts and/or Science degree from an accredited University/College with a preference for professional training in Design, Development, Merchandising and International Business disciplines.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience as an apparel product developer. Must have the proven ability to understand design concepts and have a clear track record of developing products that meet all development objectives (design, costing, quality and delivery).
- Must have extensive experience working independently both domestically and in Asia developing products with contractors and material suppliers with a proven track record of negotiating costs and managing lead-times
- Self-directed, action-oriented, mature, confident, decisive, creative problem solver who is always willing to think outside the box.
- Must be persistent – doesn’t take ‘no’ for an answer and eager to search out solutions to the challenge at hand that meet the business requirements.
- Ability to understand and create technical drawings and product specifications. Preference for this position will be given to those with excellent development experience appropriate to the company
- Proven timeline/project management experience and be disciplined; details oriented, organized and have the ability to multi-task in a group environment.
- Climber, skier, or outdoor enthusiast strongly preferred.
Benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long Term Disability as well as other wellness benefits, and 401k. BD offers supplemental accident, hospital insurance and pet insurance. Relaxed dress code and a dog friendly office. If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy discounts on industry gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.