Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) is in the business of bikes! From creating a portfolio of our own award-winning brands to distributing the top names and best products in the industry, we’re doing our part to further bike-kind. With distribution centers in Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Colorado, and Taiwan, QBP serves a network of more than 5,000 independent retailers and 450+ suppliers world-wide. We strive to be an extraordinary business to partner with and to work for, and have made good on that goal for over 35 years. As a values-driven company, making the world a better place has always been at the heart of everything QBP does. We believe that our actions as individuals and as a company can make a difference, so we work every day to improve the sustainability and health of our industry and our communities.
We understand that it is our employees that make us successful and we do our best to make QBP a fun and rewarding workplace. Our community is passionate about pushing creative boundaries, sparking innovation in the industry, living healthy lifestyles, and having fun. We have a casual environment that welcomes employees from all backgrounds and allows individuals to be themselves. QBP provides a lot of great perks for employees, including product discounts, commuting incentives, fitness and wellness programs, flexible schedules, weekly massages, and the ability to bring your dog to work.
Why join us?
Are you ready to join a passionate team working to create the next generation of packs and bags? Quality Bicycle Products is looking to add a Softgoods Product Developer to our growing team developing product for the Salsa Cycles brand.
The Softgoods Product Developer (Bags and Packs) is the central technical developer of the category, and will lead the creation process by transforming the vision into a commercially viable product.
What you will do:
As a part of the product development team, the Softgoods Product Developer is responsible for the expert and timely development of our complete Bag and Pack product lines. Expect to work in a collaborative environment on a variety of projects ranging in complexity. The Softgoods Product Developer is driven, passionate, and self-motivated; but will also be capable of integrating into a larger development team that interacts between creative, product management, design, and supply chain.
This is a full-time position at our Minnesota headquarters and reports to the Industrial Design Manager with a dotted line report to the assigned Product Managers; will focus their time on the Salsa Cycles product line, and may work on additional brand product as needed.
As a Bag and Pack Developer, your main things are:
- Translate the product vision and design into executable and commercially viable product
- Manage the development of bag and pack product from design hand off to on time delivery
- Elevate the level of Salsa Cycles bag and pack product lines to be experiential leaders within the cycling industry.
- Collaborate with Product Design team on ensuring design vision matches technical capabilities
- Convert 2D design into technical specification packages ready for supplier development
- Coordinate all factory communication in collaboration with global offices for the development of proto-types and samples
- Identify materials and construction technology that supports designer’s vision and product parameters
- Lead material and trim sourcing in accordance with product line needs
- Assist with pre-costing to inform and deliver on target cost
- Partner with Supply Chain Sourcing Manager and Product Management to determine the sourcing strategy
- Lead development calendaring process for bags and packs including costing approvals, quality evaluation, and fabric, trim and color approvals.
- Manage field and lab testing of products in collaboration with Product Assistant, Product Quality, and Product Safety
- Lead sample reviews ensuring team enrollment while maintaining calendar adherence
- Work with Supply Chain, Product Safety, Compliance, and Product Management Teams to develop and meet expectations for qualification and quality assurance
- Collaborate with Product Management and Project Management to establish development calendar for planned product projects
- Present new technical capabilities and source options to Product Design and Product Management teams
- Consistently improve overall product range and individual product details each model year
- Build and maintain relationships with vendors
- Represent QBP with integrity
*Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
What you need to succeed:
- Degree in a related field (Product Development, Apparel / Textile Design or Technology, Merchandising, Engineering)
- 5+ years’ experience in technical soft goods development within a product category such as backpacks, safety harnesses, tents, sleep systems or luggage
- Experience with secondary supply chain including mills, trim, and subcomponent vendors
- Proven track record in managing projects with domestic and foreign based suppliers
- Knowledge of bag construction, material construction and performance properties, pattern making, costing, embroidery, and trim applications
- Excellent skills in creating construction specifications and communicating technical details
- Understanding of the design, development, and product merchandising process from idea through production.
- Ability to utilize appropriate tools for the application including Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, and Microsoft office including Excel.
- Ability to develop deep knowledge of the cycling industry
- Ability and desire to test prototypes, or identify individuals who will
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentations
- Extreme attention to detail
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects in different phases of development
- Practice and exhibit high self-awareness
- International travel required up to 10%-15% of weeks annually
- Must be eligible to obtain international travel documents.
Modeling QBP Core Values:
- Act with integrity
- Be a true partner
- Create something special
- Deliver greatness
- Keep the customer first
Candidates interested in this position must provide a cover letter, resume, and work examples with their application in either a PDF or weblink.
All candidates are subject to a pre-employment criminal background check and a drug screen. Some applicants may be subject to a credit check and driving check as well.