Are you ready to embark on your next adventure?
If you love adventure & exploration, great gear & apparel, and being around people who share your passions for travel and the outdoors, you’ll be in good company at Marmot and ExOfficio. Most importantly, we are down-to-earth individuals who are committed to our communities and sustainability in all that we do, without sacrificing on performance, innovation, or quality.
Among the perks of joining our team are a complimentary on-site gym with towel service and fitness classes, regular volunteer opportunities, daily food trucks, a product loaner program (tents, sleeping bags, backpacks) to enhance your next adventure, and a generous discount on our gear & apparel. We also believe in celebrating success together whether it be through employee/family gatherings, life events, Summer BBQ’s or softball leagues. To put it simply, we enjoy life.
So grab your backpack and explore an opportunity with us today!
The Raw Materials Specialist, Sportswear provides technical fabric assistance to Category Merchandise Manager(s) through the coordination of research and development projects for all seasonal fabrics within the Sportswear category for Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA). NBTA is a division of Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL), a globally-recognized designer, developer, marketer and retailer of high-performance technical apparel and equipment with a portfolio of brands that includes Marmot® and ExOfficio®.
The position assists in setting specification and qualifying fabrics to execute the appropriate design interpretation, as well as, the technical performance characteristics to meet end use requirements. The incumbent populates the fabric library with specific fabrics while supporting ongoing seasonal development of fabrics as required.
- Meets regularly with the Category Manager(s) to stay current on most recent fabric developments and sourcing directions.
- Attends fabric hand-off meetings to review fabric selection and developments per season.
- Creates and maintains fabric profiles/item codes following fabric hand-off meetings.
- Attends key merchandising and design milestone meetings to advise on the development of desired fabric finishes and hand standards.
- Attends key meetings/fabric fairs/expos to identify potential fabric for new seasons, as requested by design. Assists in creating seasonal fabric trend presentations to share with design.
- Provides support to the Category Manager(s) with all fabric research and development for ongoing season. Coordinates development of new fabric finish effects with vendors and the overseas fabric team. Coordinates directly with the overseas fabric team and/or vendors to research fabrics.
- Requests color standard needed. Initiates color standard distribution to domestic and Asian mills, and other areas when needed. Drafts and maintains seasonal mill card/item code fabric development books with current developments and lab dip approvals.
- Assists the fabric team with tracking all incoming submits of fabric trials.
- Informs Design on any salesman sample fabric discrepancies.
- Assists the Category Manager(s) with all stages of fabric development when there is a deadline. Evaluates completed sample fabrics for weight, construction and finish, when requested.
- Maintains fabric libraries.
- Strives to meet development calendar schedules.
- Actively manages professional development.
- University or four-year college degree in textiles, fashion or apparel design or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 2-5 years of experience with fabric production, preferably in the outdoor, travel, or similar apparel manufacturing industry
- Practical knowledge of related functions such as apparel design, production, sales and merchandising, and practical knowledge of product application and functionality are required
- Knowledge of manufacturing process, fabrics, mechanical and chemical treatment, and comfortable in foreign work environments
- Knowledge of textile and material construction and properties
- Knowledge of product costs
- Must have excellent color sense
- Ability to manage and lead change
- Presentation/speaking skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated collaboration, interpersonal influence, and teamwork skills (maintains effective communication and working relationships)
- Results orientation while exhibiting great creativity, energy, and resourcefulness
- Strong project planning, organizational and time management skills and a high level of initiative
- Fast, efficient, nimble. Experience working in a shifting and collaborative environment with a great deal of constructive feedback and input
- Team player
- Able to manage to deadlines, be flexible with change, drive to timely resolution
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Proficiency in all Microsoft programs; intermediate Microsoft Excel skills required
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator
- Sense of humor and a passion for what you do
- Able to travel up to 5% of the year, including international travel to visit factories and mills
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.