JOB TITLE: Product Specialist REPORTS TO: Dir. of Product Strategy
APPROVED BY: Human Resources DATE: 08/14/2018
Under the general supervision of the Director of Product Strategy, the Product Specialist is responsible for becoming a subject / product matter expert and translating that knowledge into effective product lifecycle management. This includes product specifications, product positioning, pricing, improvements and profitability. The Product Specialist works closely with many different groups internal and external to CMC to ensure product viability.
· Creates and presents a business case for new product and product development projects in order to justify the resources applied to such projects.
· Defines product specifications for new products and for product improvements.
· Determines product positioning and pricing for new and improved products in the context of the existing CMC product line and the competitive environment.
· Collaborate with product development staff, i.e. engineering department and prototype sewer(s) to ensure new product specifications are executed in the product development process as desired by the market.
· Participate in new product Design Review process to ensure that product specifications are executed as desired in the product development process.
· Collaborate with the Marketing staff to ensure the appropriate target customer, value proposition, feature/benefits and technical application in an effort to properly launch a new product into the target market.
· Interfaces with CMC’s Customers, Customer Service, Sales Team, the CMC School, Engineering and Operations staff to receive product feedback.
· Assist in the execution of the CMC Product Roadmap which lays out the new product development path and market launch timing required to meet corporate strategic objectives.
· Project Manager on multi-departmental teams for new product development or product improvement projects.
· Participate in/on product development teams in order to provide Product Management support as a new product moves through the development process.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· The Product Specialist character-set must be diverse in order to meet the objective of the position: these attributes include being influential, diplomatic, curious, analytical, methodically organized, technically competent, and solutions oriented.
· Must possess a high level of critical thinking skills to effectively analyze our processes and provide viable solutions for new and existing products.
· Must have strong analytical skills including math and statistics, coupled with the ability to analyze data, to ensure accurate reporting and analytics pertaining to current market trends, product marketability and competitive positioning.
· Strong technical background – comfortable working with engineering to discuss trade-off between different systems designs, and the ability to read, understand and communicate technical documentation.
· Ability to transform business and design requirements into product requirements.
· Strong project management skills; organized, high attention to detail, able to manage multiple time-sensitive projects.
· Demonstrated success managing priorities and personalities in cross-functional teams
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
· Be a self-starter, a highly motivated person able to work in a fast-paced environment that is continually changing.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education and experience)
· Bachelor’s degree required; in business, marketing, or engineering preferred
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in marketing and successfully leading the product management function desired
· Experience in rescue or work at height equipment desired
Typical work environment is in a normal office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stand; and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools, or controls and includes extensive use of a computer. Occasionally, the employee must crouch or kneel. The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 20 pounds. Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision.
Business travel and work at off-premises locations under unpredictable conditions is required. This may include attending trade shows, CMC School Classes and using CMC Equipment in real-life settings, which may require physical strength to climb, lift and position equipment to demonstrate equipment in the environment typically used in.