The Materials Researcher is directly responsible for the development of Textile Materials from concept to commercialization for Mountain Hardwear apparel, managing the process and interface between partners within Design and Product Development teams.
· Work with MHW Designers and Product Development teams to develop Materials for specific product functionality and branding requirements.
· Provide technical expertise in raw Material development and finishing stages, including washes, prints, yarn dyes, and color development.
· Work closely with Design and Product Development to review raw material cost and ensure margins are met.
· Manage seasonal Materials developments and track against the calendar to ensure accuracy and meet completion dates
· Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of industry trends, continuously building expertise and a network of contacts within the industry by attending relevant Material shows and meeting regularly with suppliers for line reviews.
· Assist with coordination of Material testing using MHW customized or industry standard tests, including assisting with management of field testing programs.
· Communicate via email and PDM system all Material development information to the appropriate liaison office keeping them abreast of progress and changes.
· Maintain Material library for pertaining/assigned categories.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Materials Science, Apparel/Textile Design or related field.
· Min 5-years’ experience in the Apparel Industry is required. Knowledge of Equipment (Packs/Tents) Materials a plus.
· Excellent color acuity.
· Full knowledge of garment and product life cycle from concept to shipment. Capability to apply specialized knowledge of industry standards/practices to projects and initiatives.
· Knowledge of textile chemistry, physical Materials testing, product testing, product engineering and sourcing a plus.
· A curious, critical thinker, analytical, problem solver, creative, adaptable, enthusiastic and with a sense of humor.
· Proficient in PLM, Excel and Adobe Creative Suite
· Not a supervisory position.