ABOUT WARREN WILSON COLLEGE
Warren Wilson College is a vibrant, nationally recognized, independent liberal arts college with an enrollment of approximately 600 undergraduates located on a 1,135-acre campus in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, North Carolina. The education program incorporates experiential learning, challenging work experiences, and deliberate community engagement, with a commitment to sustainable practices.
The primary areas of responsibility for this position include oversight and operation of all cycling programs including all aspects of coaching, recruiting, budgeting, scheduling, fundraising and managing the programs within the policies and philosophy of Warren Wilson College. Programs include teams for men and women in three disciplines: mountain biking, cyclocross and road cycling. This position is expected to work collaboratively to promote intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the college learning environment and to support the overall success of student-athletes. The head coach is responsible for ensuring that all duties are executed in compliance with USA Cycling and institutional regulations and policies.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the College’s mission and the mission of the Athletic Department.
- Work effectively with student-athletes, staff, faculty and administrators through good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Oversee and manage the team budget while being fiscally responsible.
- Reconciles credit card statements, collects and submits all departmental check requests to the office of Administration and Finance.
- Schedule intercollegiate contests. Considerations include any Warren Wilson community event, travel time, competition between like opponents, and realistic demands placed on student-athletes.
- Plans and implements a systematic recruiting program under the direction of the Athletic Director and Vice President of Admissions. Additionally, reach recruiting goals/quotas.
- Assists in building relations with the WWC alumni.
- Utilize recruiting software and maintain a database.
- Recruit and retain qualified student-athletes who are capable of academic, athletic, and social success in a competitive academic, athletic and work environment through visits, scouting, phone calls, correspondence, camps, and clinics to meet established roster goals.
- Promote a team culture conducive to academic and athletic excellence.
- Organize and maintain all travel operations including scheduling, budgeting, driving and proper management of student-athletes.
- Maintain a professional appearance when representing the college.
- Establish a working and coaching presence in the athletic offices.
- Assist with game management and building operations as needed.
- Ensures compliance with all Association, Conference, USA Cycling and College rules by athletes and supporting staff.
- Attend department meetings, home and away athletic events as required.
- Will perform an additional duty which will be dependent on the candidate’s skill set and department needs.
- Supervision of bike crew members.
- Must adhere to and follow all Work Program Guidelines for managing a student crew.
- Ensure all crew are fully versed on safety protocol and attend OSHA trainings.
- Hold weekly crew meetings to ensure crew members understand the role of the duties and that responsibilities are being managed effectively.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to the College’s mission and the mission of the Athletic Department.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum level I or II cycling coaching license.
- Minimum two years of experience in related fields which include program development, collegiate coaching and computer skills.
- Excellent computer skills are required, including proficiency with databases, spreadsheets and excellent word processing ability.
- Willingness and ability to learn new tasks easily and ask questions.
- Team player that shares a commitment to enhance the student experience.
- Commitment to diversity equity and inclusion.
- Previous cycling experience at the collegiate and/or professional level.
- Recruiting experience.
- Ability to recruit, coach and teach talented student-athletes.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- An ability to communicate with and interact positively with students, faculty, staff and the broader community.
- Demonstrating competency in helping to meet program objectives, working independently and helps to establish program priorities.
- The ability to develop a safe, functional, and inclusive working environment.
- Highly organized with knowledge of intramural programming and oversight.
- A current certification in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automatic external defibrillator (AED) use.
- Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one required.
The priority deadline for applications is August 8, 2018 by 5 PM EST.
Department: Athletics and Adventure Sports
Supervisor: Joni Williamson, Director of Athletics and Adventure Sports
FLSA Status: Exempt
Positions Supervised: 1-2 student crew members
Schedule/Hours: 12 month, 40+ hours/week