The Senior Design Engineer is an experienced, creative, and forward-looking member of the Engineering team, responsible for employing sound and innovative engineering principles in the development of new technologies, products, or product line extensions. The Senior Design Engineer is responsible for all aspects of product development, including concept development, ergonomic/industrial design, fit, function, mechanical design, evaluation, testing, and release to tooling and production. Must openly collaborate with and support the commercialization and launch of new products cross-functionally with Manufacturing, Product Management, Sales, and Marketing, to ensure success of new and existing product design implementation.
- Develop and deliver market driven products in a fast paced collaborative environment
- Develop physical representation of ideas through breadboards, mock-ups and rapid prototyping methods
- Develop selected concepts into mechanically sound products keeping ergonomics and human interface in mind throughout development
- Present and articulate new concepts, product ideas and mechanical development through presentations and design packages
- Test new products as needed and required to analyze the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems
- Implement design and manage mold tool build through release to production
- Collaborate with and support production with necessary assembly drawings and product details
- Confer with engineers and other CTC staff to implement procedures, resolve production issues and provide technical information as needed and required
- Complete documentation of new products including design reviews, test results, bill of materials (BOMs) and other information as is required and/or necessary
- Responsible for leading assigned programs and maintaining project schedules and timelines. Provide reports and updates to organization as necessary
- Provide technical support to customer service, production, sales and marketing as needed
- Contribute to Innovation Team responsible for IP generation
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 6 to 8+ years of related design experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience designing consumer products, preferably in the outdoor, firearm, or laser/electro-optic industry is desired.
- Experience in the design of optics-based sighting products is desired.
- Knowledge of micro opto-mechanical systems, materials, adhesives, and design for manufacturing are highly desired
- Exemplary analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to identify complex problems and review related data to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Proven competency in SolidWorks required with a minimum of 4 years of consistent use in 3D modeling, solids, surfacing and assembly builds with 2D drawing support.
- Must possess good business acumen and market perspective for developing innovative products
- Sound knowledge of mechanical engineering principals with extensive experience in molding techniques, advanced materials and processes
- Good working knowledge of electrical and software development and be able to support electrical engineering contractors
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook and project management software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Firearms industry or experience desired
- Electro-mechanical assembly manufacturing environment.
- Subject to fluctuating temperatures and noise.
- Able to work in a fast paced environment; under pressure and within project deadlines.
- Concentrated mental and/or visual attention required. Position involves performing complex tasks to very close accuracy specifications for sustained periods.
- Job may require occasional exposure to dust, fumes, and the inherent dangers of a shooting range environment
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds on occasion
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform.