- Develop, foster and strengthen relationships with key vendors
- Develop and manage the execution of seasonal strategies for department/class that meet or exceed the Division and Business financial goals.
- Attend local, regional and national tradeshows, line showings and vendor HQs to preview and pre-line future seasons’ product and make curated and on-trend assortment decisions within assigned categories.
- Develop and oversee the communication of new product concepts, merchandising opportunities and product flow to stores and work closely with distribution center leads and Inventory Analyst(s) to ensure all stores are well stocked with seasonally appropriate products that tell curated brand and category stories to maximize sales and profitability.
- Analyze, interpret and thoroughly understand competitive landscape; proactively seek out market knowledge through exposure to competitive retailers.
- Influence others to achieve departmental goals. Effectively communicate with cross-functional teams (Marketing, Finance, Merchandising, IT, Planning, eCommerce, Store Associates and Distribution) to ensure they understand departmental goals and clear pathway(s) to achieving them.
- Creatively and effectively ideate, communicate and negotiate best-in-class brand and product discounts, terms and unique growth opportunities with reps, Sales Managers and vendor executives to maximize turn, margin, sales and profitability while evaluating, identifying and effectively mitigating risks.
- Continually work to differentiate the product brands and the assortment mix for growth in the omni-channel space taking into account market trends, competition, evo’s brand positioning and targeted customer.
- Identify new growth opportunities not only from a brand perspective but also within new categories that may or may not live in our current assortment as it exists today.
- Partner and strategize with Marketing, Creative and all cross-functional teams to ensure a compelling site and customer experience that supports the overall business objectives and meets customer expectations while conveying appropriate merchandise strategies.
- Drive sales, increase profitability and inventory productivity for areas of responsibility.
- Write or oversee the completion of all preseason, in-season and past-season orders for categories of responsibility while adhering to Department/Brand OTBs provided by planning. Achieve all vendor deadlines to maximize discounts and payment terms.
- Direct the visual merchandising of product within categories both online and in store(s) and make the catalog product selections for all products within department(s).
- Review open-to-buy for brand/department/class in conjunction with planner(s) to finalize future season’s plans and regularly monitor and adjustment seasonal, monthly and weekly forecasts.
- Execute to the sales margin and promotional markdown cadence established with planning partner.
- Work with planner(s) on execution of all pricing strategies to remain competitive in the online and brick and mortar marketplace and oversee the implementation of all pricing and promotions.
- Manage and communicate all promotions to the marketing team and meet all deadlines for pricing or promotional events.
- Work directly with the eCommerce team on web management to create a compelling product experience on the website including inspirational merchandise presentation, simple and intuitive category navigation and clear and accurate product details.
- Collaborate with the Photo Manager to ensure all product images are styled and executed appropriately and are aspirational to the evo customer.
- Oversee and validate all site work, updates and maintenance completed by Product Information, Assistant Buyer(s) and/or MA(s) and marketing teams and effectively manage the calendar and priorities.
- Develop and implement markdown and sell through programs with new and existing vendors
- Guide and lead team(s) to identify both in-season and preseason business opportunities and risks. Provide appropriate and timely direction to all business partners to react quickly to customer and business trends.
- Hire and Manage Assistant Buyer(s) and/or Merchandising Assistant(s). Provide and foster regular growth opportunities to develop and refine their skillsets. Meet regularly to review “to dos” and help prioritize existing and future workloads.
- Provide formal critical feedback weekly/quarterly for direct reports as part of companywide review process and comprehensive annual reviews at end of fiscal calendar.
- Act as a role model within the Division by coaching and teaching team members to work cooperatively and remain focused on key priorities.
- Experience in leading, developing, coaching and supervising employees in a manner that inspires and builds their technical, buying, overall business skills.
- Demonstrate strong presentation skills, be the merchandise authority of the division.
Skills and Job Requirements:
- Minimum 5-10 years of retail or merchandising operations experience, preferably in the action sports category for a branded specialty lifestyle multi-channel retailer.
- Degree in Fashion Merchandising or Business related field preferred, but not necessary if prior experience warrants consideration.
- Thorough understanding, experience with and/or knowledge of best-in-class inventory management practices.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to administer high volumes of data and information in a timely and highly accurate manner.
- Proven strong analytical and effective negotiation skills
- Demonstrate a can-do attitude and maintain enthusiasm and team player approach at all times.
- Minimum of 3-5 years management experience.
- Experience in multi-channel retail with thorough understanding of web-centric performance metrics and analytics.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness at building trusting open, working relationships with multiple stakeholders throughout an organization while managing the needs of the business.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines and deliver accurate and professional work.
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities.
- Ability to work well under pressure and while multi-tasking.
- Ability to maintain focus and organization in a fast paced and dynamic office environment
- A passion for and participation in the sports we promote is preferred, but not necessary.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products. Must be comfortable with technology in a dynamic environment.
evo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe the participation of individuals of diverse ages, races, religions, cultures, abilities and personalities will add to personal development and organizational success. All employees and potential employees will be recruited, selected, trained, and promoted without regard to sex, sexual orientation, race, religion, marital or military status, age, national origin, color, the presence of any mental, physical, or sensory disability, genetic information, gender identity, political ideology , or any other basis prohibited by law.