Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is a national nonprofit organization headquartered in Missoula, Montana. BHA seeks to ensure North America’s outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters and wildlife. Now, more than ever before, we need wild lands: places to rekindle the fire at the heart of the human soul. BHA is a nonpartisan group of sportsmen and women who are standing up for these places and for the outdoor opportunities they represent. BHA is the nation’s leading public lands and waters focused sportsmen’s conservation organization.
As part of BHA’s dynamic communications team, the Backcountry Journal editor/publications coordinator position requires multi-tasking and close attention to detail. This position is responsible for editorial management, design and production of the Backcountry Journal, which is produced quarterly. The position also provides general support to BHA’s communications department and plays a major role in projects such as the BHA annual report.
The ideal candidate must be able to work with little supervision and be flexible and organized in a fast-paced work environment. This position requires good judgment, adherence to standards of confidentiality, excellent writing and editing and the ability to meet deadlines.
This position will play a key role in strengthening BHA’s current base of supporters and advocates while building new members and advocates and growing BHA’s influence on meaningful conservation decisions for our public lands and waters.
• Oversee editorial, design, and production of the Backcountry Journal
• Solicit and evaluate submissions from writers and photographers • Write briefs and copy as needed, including an editor’s column that appears in every issue
• Ensure the Backcountry Journal is produced four times a year on schedule, meeting the highest standards of quality and representing the BHA mission and values
• Assist with special media and communications projects including the annual report, ad hoc publications, BHA calendar and other messaging materials
• Edit/review communications materials including chapter content, op-eds, letters to the editor, staff projects and general communications from BHA headquarters
• Publication and magazine editing experience and expertise
• Superlative written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent design skills and knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop
• Excellent time and project management skills and ability to multi task and prioritize work
• Attention to detail, including expert editing skills and thorough knowledge of AP style
• Experience working with printers and managing all aspects of magazine production
• Eagerness to learn, adapt and teach others about the use of new technologies
• Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and meet deadlines
• Ability to work with a diverse team, including some who work remotely
• Leadership and initiative
• Entrepreneurial spirit
• Hunter or angler preferred
• Passion for BHA’s work and mission
• Bachelor’s degree
• Capability to sit at a desk for extended periods working on computer. Lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
• Must have a valid driver’s license
The position is a full-time staff position based at BHA headquarters in Missoula, MT.
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience
Application Close Date: October 31, 2018
Application: To apply send cover letter and resume to Operations Associate Caitlin Frisbie at [email protected] with the subject line “Journal Editor and Publications Coordinator.”
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one PDF document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.